Villa Dell’Orto is located in Laglio on Lake Como. Recognizable by its imposing emerald green façade, it was built at the end of the 19th century. The name derives from the owners who are still known today for the Orto family business, based in Cabiate, which produces carburetors and electronic injection systems.
On the Romantic Riva, so called because of the mountains that sink almost in perpendicular, Casa Dell’orto dominates thanks to its green walls like those of the lake. The nine hundred square meters covered and 1300 of park contain inlaid marbles, Doric columns, faux-natural caves, Pompeii dwelling statues with feline incursions of imperial lions with open mouths, baroque stuccos triumphs on neoclassical salons, corridors, rooms and bathrooms with terraces. The villa was built in what were the golden years of the Lombard bourgeoisie, close to Villa Marco that belonged to the family of the same name of mechanics and carburetors. The building is sold for 28 million, the price is also due to the close proximity to Villa Oleandra that was purchased by George Clooney for eight million. Since then for Laglio it has been a triumph of celebrity on the whole ancient Via Regina.
Laglio is a town of just under one thousand inhabitants that extends on the western shore of Lake Como, 15 kilometers away from the capital of Lario. the municipality gained notoriety from the purchase of Villa Oleandra by George Clooney in 2002 by the Heinz family and Villa Margherita in 2004. The actor spends all summer in the coastal town. In 1922, in the chalet owned by the Dell’Orto family, Ada Negri stayed where he composed some of his works. There are numerous points of interest in the municipality such as Villa Veronesi, the pyramid of Frank in the municipal cemetery, the church of S. Bartolomeo in Toriggia and the church of S. Gerolamo di Germanello.