The Museum of Ornithology and Natural Sciences Luigi Scanagatta is located in Varenna, in the province of Lecco. The museum preserves numerous specimens of the sedentary and migratory fauna of the Lario territory and was established in collaboration with the scholar Luigi Scanagatta. Scanagatta has always been a great lover of ornithology, branch of zoology that deals with studying the class of birds since ancient times, and of botany, the discipline of biology that studies the forms of life of the plant world in relation to their anatomy. , physiology, utility, classification and ecology. He is also a scholar of malacology, that is the branch of zoology that studies the mollusks by observing the shells and their soft parts.
The ornithological museum was created in 1962 with the collaboration of Luigi Scanagatta, Ugo Maloberti, Stefano Dellamano, Palmiro Gilardoni and other lovers of natural sciences and fauna of the Larian territory, particularly active in the Pro Loco of Varenna. Varenna is a small town in the province of Lecco in Lombardy located on the banks of Lake Como. It is located in front of Bellagio, which is connected by ferry, was born as a fishing town, was allied with the City of Milan and was destroyed by the Comaschi in 1126. It welcomed the exiles from the island Comacina and still today celebrate the exodus of comacini with the feast of San Giovanni on Sunday 24 June. On that day the lake is illuminated with thousands of lumaghitt, floating lights abandoned on the water, to remember the souls who sailed from one bank to another escaping from their burning houses.
In 1982 the ornithological museum became civic and was restructured with the collaboration of Giacomo Perego of the Varenna Museum. Thanks to the donation of Father Tarciso Scanagatta from the Luigi Scanagatta archive, the museum is enriched again, a scientific library with over 1500 volumes of ornithology, zoology, malacology and botany; it also includes correspondence with Italian and foreign scholars and the malacology collection. The museum is managed in collaboration with the Cultural Association “L.Scanagatta”.