The Comacina Island and Lake Como were the background of the great pyrotechnic festival held every year during the summer of Lariana.
Every 24th of June, the Comacina Island hosts one of the most anticipated events of the summer, the San Giovanni Festival, inaugurating the tourist season with an irresistible appeal for thousands of tourists who ride. car or motorboat gathered for this fantastic event.
The Como rebuild the battle of 24 June 1169 when the only island of Lario that had retained its autonomy. The festival commemorates the devastation of the Comacina Island, in the week of June 24th, by Barbarossa, who with the help of Como set fire to the island by putting it on fire and destroying every home.
Legend has it that, in the following three centuries, in 1435 St. John the Baptist as a pilgrim appeared to an islander and invited him to dig under a walnut tree. Thus the ruins of the ancient basilica were brought to light, together with the historical memory of the islanders who joyfully rebuilt their church.
Four boats, 16 meters long and 5 meters long, equipped with a stern castle and special structures at the bow, respecting the realistic appearance of the 13th century lake fighting boats, met for the event. Each boat was equipped with a crew of 30 men in period costume and armed with bows, arrows and swords; but without the armor that would have created many obstacles in a battle marked by rapidity.
Incendiary arrows and fireballs have prompted the launch of hot oil ladles from ship to ship and the fire of sails made of special materials.
Forty boats flanked the four flagships with the reconstruction of the great fire with fireworks on the lake in front of the Comacina Island.
Sunday 25, as the Larian tradition, the relics of St. John were carried through a procession celebrating the religious part of the festival.