The Basilica of San Giacomo is located in Bellagio on Lake Como and was built between the eleventh and twelfth centuries.
In 1667 it became a prepositural parish and, before assuming its current style, it underwent a transformation to then arrive at the original eighteenth-century style and be declared a national monument with a ministerial decree in 1904.
To the Sfondati family the patronage was entrusted to the new parish which proposed to transform the whole complex into an eighteenth-century style.
In 1904 the architect Perrone was entrusted with the task of restoring the basilica to obtain the original Romanesque appearance, reconstructing the two apses and giving the basilica its current appearance, with a summit cornice, blind arches on the façade, oculi and single lancet windows above single portal. The bell tower was restored only in 1990.
The architecture has a three naves plant with the bell tower located to the left of the facade, made from an old defensive tower of the walls.
The interiors are decorated with works of art dating back to different historical periods, such as two tables of the fifteenth century, one of amber and Lombard school, Romanesque sculptures and paintings of the late sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, including the Deposition of Jesus in the tomb and the Madonna of the Graces.
In the three apses there are the chapel of Sant’Orsola, the gilded wood anchor above the tabernacle by the Bellagio sculptor Domenico Pini; the chapel of Sant’Abbondio; the altar of musso marble slabs.
There is also the dead Christ of the seventeenth century of Spanish origin, found in Bellagio after a flood swept away the Spanish encampment in the Pian di Spagna area, at the top of Lake Como; he is still carried in procession every Good Friday.
The baptistery dates back to 1986 with a mosaic of the Venetian school that depicts the Baptism of Christ of the Bergognone canvas.
The bell tower instead, built in 1849, includes 5 diatonic bells larger than Re3, installed according to the typical Ambrosian sound system as tradition of the area.