The Basilica of San Carpoforo is considered the first basilica of the diocese of the city of Como. Built at the end of the fourth century by the will of the first bishop of Como San Felice, sent to Como in 1386 by the bishop of Milan Ambrogio. Standing in the area of the martyrdom of the age of Maximilian and Diocletian in 304, some of the Legion of the Thee were fleeing from Milan including Carpoforo, Sant’alessandro and San Fedele, who received the task of Christianizing the region. Captured, they were beheaded at the Baradello Castle where a tombstone stands now.
Around 724 the king of the Lombards Liutprando commissioned an extension of the early Christian building. After the year one thousand was erected the third church of Como, which became the basilica of Sant’Abbondio. The basilica of San Carpoforo was instead transformed into a monastery initially entrusted to the Benedictine monks and then to the hermits of St. Jerome. In 1773 the monastery became a parish in the municipality of Camerlata, and then hosted a religious school after 1932, when the remains of Felice and the first martyrs were moved to the new parish.
The Basilica is made up of three naves supported by pillars with rectangular sections supporting the arches, which support the trussed roof of the central nave and the cross-vaulting of the two side aisles. The raised presbytery rises at the end of the aisles, two stone stairs allow access. Under the crypt is divided into three naves of six granite columns with capitals to hold the cross vault. Baroque polychrome marbles adorn the high altar which is surrounded by a contemporary choir. The altar covers the ancient sarcophagus of the founder San Felice, also covered with Baroque polychrome marbles. Due to numerous landslides, the western façade is counter-ground and the entrance to the right side of the nave is lateral. Frescoes from the early sixteenth century in a manneristic style fresco the side chapels. The eighteenth-century fresco depicting the Baptism of the Jordan rises in the previous place of the baptismal font