The church of Sant’Agostino is located in the city of Como and is dedicated to the homonymous saint. The church was founded in 1300 by two Hermit monks of S. Agostino coming from Civilio, a village above Como, on land donated by the Pioppi family, of which we were buried in front of the presbytery.
The church of Sant’Agostino was consecrated in 1384 and restored in the sixties. The dimensions of the choir were reduced by moving the altar under the triumphal arch and lowering the presbytery. On the back wall the lobed single-lancet windows were reopened and the cross vaults were demolished rebuilding the trusses. A wall with a wall of water, which is a link that leads to the cemetery and another door leading to the cloister. Now only the access stairway to the building that stands out for its size on the narrow parvis remains.
The salient structure tripartite by Iesene is crowned by robust pinnacles. A floral decoration has been carved on the central stone portal. In the lunette you can see the remains of a fresco depicting the Virgin and Child in the center, on the left Sant’Agostino and Santa Monica, on the right San Nicola da Tolentino and the Blessed Maddalena Albrici, datable to the second half of the fifteenth century. Above the portal there is a large rose window, which together with the single-light windows and the eyes of the side aisles give light to the interior. The naves are punctuated by stone pillars supporting the pointed arches. The side apses with ribbed cruise are first of all a noble coat of arms in the keystone of the entrance arch.
In the presbytery area are preserved the main evidence of the original pictorial structure with the Crucifixion, an Annunciation with the prophets Jeremiah and Isaiah in the triumphal arch and the Prophets within the niches on the intrados. The cloisters are positioned along the southern side. This is new from the south side alone and consists of seven bays with cross vaults supported by stone columns. The old cloister stops three sides with fragments of late fifteenth century frescoes.