Volpi Palace hosts the Pinacoteca of Como, located in the south-western part of the walled city.
To spend an alternate afternoon in the beautiful city of Como you can visit the Civic Art Gallery of Como with its temporary and permanent exhibitions.
The Volpi palace collects works of art from the territory of Como in four sections: medieval, Renaissance, periodical and twentieth century.
The Middle Ages occupies the ground floor of the southern wing of the palace and is accessed through a Romanesque portal of the church of Santa Margherita. The entrance enters the teaching room which documents the use and processing of the stone with the traditional techniques of the Lake. Three chronological steps mark the path from the Middle Ages, from Romanesque to Gothic.
The Renaissance is the section occupying three floors on the ground floor of the eastern wing of the building. Portraits dating back to the sixteenth century, like those of Paolo Giovio, occupy the central hall; while the two side houses respectively prestigious works of a private collector and significant testimonies of the Renaissance artistic production in the cities of lario.
the noble volpi palace of the palace houses the picture gallery with an exhibition of large canvases of sacred subjects from religious buildings abolished in Austrian and Napoleonic ages. There is also a wide panorama of the artists active at that time on the territory of Como.
The twentieth century is the section located on the second floor of the palace and is introduced by Marcello Nizzoli’s photoceramic panels representing illustrations of Casa del Fascio by Giuseppe Terragni. Paintings, photographic images and sculptures document the salient moments of artistic creativity during the twentieth century in Como, Futurism by Antonio Sant’elia and Rationalism by Giuseppe Terragni with the abstractionism of the Como Group.
The ancient abode of the Volpi family commissioned by the bishop of Chieti Volpiano Volpi resident in Rome commissioned the Roman architect Sergio Ventura. Under the direction of Captain Marco Dotti of Piazza and of the nephew of Bishop Pietro Paolo Raimondi, the work continued from 1622 to 1633.
The original project of the building included a U plant with a courtyard open to the garden, but the work remained unfinished in the north with the result of a building resulting from the mixture of architectural and residential cultures between Como and Milan
The building was inherited from the Canaries until 1839, which was seen as a state-owned building for the state, and later in 1855, the prisons were built in the garden while the building was used as court seat until 1968.
Acquired by Como in the seventies became a museum in 1989 thanks to the architect Gianfranco Caniggia.
Thanks to Studio Pandokovic and Associates, it was reopened in 2003 as the home of art collections.