Villa Carlotta, to discover the wonders of the lake district. In Tremezzo on Lake Como stands Villa Carlotta full of works of art and a famous botanical garden containing over 500 species of plants.
In one of the loveliest points of the Lario the village of Tremezzo faces the water with low houses with porticoes and steps that go up to the houses clinging to the mountain, in front of the vast central basin of the lake on the promontory of Bellagio. At the end of the village there is Villa Carlotta, a name due to Carlotta who received it as a wedding gift from her mother, Princess Marianna of Prussia.
The Marquis Clerici built Villa Carlotta at the end of 1600 in baroque forms but with sobriety, compared to the canons of the time, however maintaining its natural grandeur. From its three floors, two of which can be visited, you can admire the view of the Bellagio peninsula and the mountains surrounding the lake.
At the beginning of the nineteenth century the villa became the property of Gian Battista Sommariva, a friend of Napoleon was a politician and art collector. Thanks to him works the collection was enriched with works by Canova and his school, Thorvaldsen, Palemede, Love and psyche, Tersicori and the monumental frieze with the triumphs of Alexander the Great.
The works are exhibited on the lower floors, while the upper one shows the villa in terms of living conditions, where the girl who gave the villa’s name, Carlotta lived. In 1850 the villa became the property of Princess Marianna of Orange-Nassau who donated it to her daughter Carl when she married George II, Duke of Sachsen-Meiningen.
The Duke was fond of botany and particularly cared for the growth of the garden which today is of great historical and architectural value. In the park there are more than 140 varieties of azaleas and also camellias, cedars, centuries-old sequoias, plane trees, exotic essences.The greenhouse in the winter for citrus trees has been transformed into an interesting museum of ancient agricultural tools.