Il Giardino di Lory is back to the discovery of the wonders of the lakes district; this time we are on the Lake of Como, in Tremezzo, to admire the works of art preserved at Villa Carlotta and its famous botanic garden containing more than 500 species of plants.
In one of the most beautiful spots of the Lario village of Tremezzo overlooks the water with low houses with arcades and bleachers that climb toward the houses clinging to the mountain, before the eyes of the vast central basin of the lake on the promontory of Bellagio. At the end of the village you will find Villa Carlotta, name due to Charlotte that he received as a wedding gift from mother, princess Marianna of Prussia.
The Marquis Clerici made build Villa Carlotta at the end of 1600 in baroque style but with sobriety, with respect to the canons of the time, though maintaining its natural grandeur. By its three floors, two of which can be visited, it is possible to admire the views of the peninsula of Bellagio and the mountains surrounding the lake.
At the beginning of XIX the villa became the property of Gian Battista Sommariva, friend of Napoleon was a politician and art collector. Thanks to him works the collection was enriched with works by Canova and his school, Thorvaldsen, Palemede, Love and Psyche, Tersicori and the monumental frieze with the Triumph of Alexander the Great.
The works are exhibited on the lower floors, while the upper one shows the villa under the housing profile of the time, where dwelt the damsel that gave the name to the Villa Carlotta. In 1850 the villa became the property of the Princess Marianna of Orange-Nassau who donated it to her daughter Carlotta when she married George II, duke of Sachsen-Meiningen.
The duke was fond of botany and oversaw particularly the growth of the garden which today is of great historical and architectural interest. In the park there are over 140 varieties of azaleas and camellias, cedars, Sequoias trees, Platani, exotic essences.La serra uses in winter for citrus fruit has been transformed into an interesting museum of ancient agricultural tools.