Il Giardino di Lory back to the discovery of the beauty of that branch of Lake Como, today we are in the historic center of Como to visit the famous Social Theater. Opened in August 28, 1813, designed by architect Giuseppe Cusi and by the will of the Society of Palletists, constituted by the Podestà of Como Gian Pietro Porro, in the area of Castel della Torre Rotonda built in 1200. On the evening of 28 August 1813, The year when Giuseppe Verdi and Richard Wagner were born, the curtain of the theater for the first time grew up with the performance of “Adriano in Syria” by Antonio Fonseca Portugal and Giuseppe Mosca’s “The Lost Pretenders”. The southern facade of the theater, initially not completed, was completed by Luigi Canonica, the greatest theater builder of the time, then covered in the 1930s by a scenic tower overlooking an open grenade by architect Carlo Ponci.
The theater was undergoing numerous restoration works, including 1838 when the Emperor Ferdinand I of Austria visited. In 1855, the V gallery emerged, lifting a floor from a floor to the hall and retreating the stage; Finally, in 1899, at the centenary of Alessandro Volta’s stack, electricity came. In 1909 a unique gallery was established abolishing the fourth order parks; The hall is cobblestone with wooden frame walls with 3 orders for the 72 private, real estate and 2 orders for the galleries. The historical curtain created by Alessandro Sanquirico, represents the death of Pliny the Elder during the eruption of the vesuvio and dates back to 1800
The Social Theater hosted the Stage Theater performances, which, due to the Second World War, was rendered inaccessible to the bombings of 1943; The best artists and orchestral conductors of the time performed on the stage of Como. Today, the theater is a meeting point for associations that bring theater and dance schools, animated by children of all ages, with numerous collaborations of well-established music projects over the years and aimed at all types of audiences.