The Abbey of Piona to two steps from the shore of Lake Como in the town of Colico stands at the foot of Mount Legnone, on the hill of Olgiasca.
The first sources that attest to the presence in this territory of the monastic community date back to the sec VII.
Documents have been found of the XII centuries that demonstrate the viability even economic of the Abbey of Piona to those times.
On entering the Abbey you can visit the church, cloister, Chapter House and the building that houses the products of the monks of Piona.
first source tells us that in the seventh century AD, in that territory there was a monastic community, probably setting hermit. In the cloister preserves the Cippus Agrippino, which takes its name from bishop of Como that in 617 erected an oratory in Santa Giustina martyr. Toward the end of the XI century, the Abbey of Piona was inserted in the movement of the Cluniac reform that provided for the transfer of the monks from the house mother Cluny to the abbeys of crisis for rivitalizzarle.
During the restoration of the 1906 and came to light the inclusion of an epigraph from which one can deduce that after the accession to the Cluniac reform the church was consecrated (1138) to the Blessed Virgin Mary. The church is dedicated to San Nicola di Bari which co-patron, but the date of the dedication or uncertain.
The church of Piona, turned to the east, and long 27 m., 8 m., and high 9 m., built on single nave. The frescoes of time unknown of the apse were brought to light in 1906, also the time of the presbytery and the transverse arch are frescoed with scenes of the ascension of Christ into heaven, and of the apostles.
The Cloister a quadrangular shape, and the reference point of all the Abbey of Piona. The Cloister is a place for meditation and silence, its structure evokes the symbolic significance of the number four, the four elements of the universe, the four cardinal points. The cloister was built by the prior Bonaccorso de Canova between 1252 and 1257.
The capitular hall is the place for meeting and reading of the monks where shall elect, by secret vote the top, discuss problems, which admit postulants for the novitiate. The benches and the railing of wood comes from the Sacristy of San Zeno in Verona.
In the building of the Abbey of Piona used for the sale of the products of the Monks we can find medicinal herbs, cosmetic creams, honey and the famous liqueurs distilled wisely according to the most ancient traditions, all natural products created by the monks.
Structural configuration of the Abbey of Piona: the abbey today is composed by the church with a single nave, the portico of the cloister with access from an arc next to the church, the campanile is from a series of ruins of the oldest house of worship, behind the apse area. The complex includes the wings developed in enlargement around the cloister and bodies posted in part rebuilt and in part of new construction used for a guest house and accessories and local products for sale. The property develops with portions grown along the promontory on which is located the monastery.
The Abbey Piona is far from Lecco 37 km. Como 68 km. Vercana 26 km. The Abbey can be reached by exiting highway 36 the Spluga to the homonymous output and heading south toward Dorio. After little more than 3 km there is the detour to the right and passed Olgiasca descends toward the Abbey. You can also arrive via lake taking the boat to Como and Lecco.
The Cistercian Monks of Piona, in compliance with the Benedictine dictates “Ora et Labora”, aware that Dutch companies are with the work of their own hands the necessary for if, for the parish of Olgiasca and for its own missions (Africa and Brazil).
weekday hours 7.00 am.
Masses festive hours 8.00 ; 9.30 ; 11.00 ; 16.30 .
Shop hours: 9.30 -11,55; 14.15 -17,00 (when the shop is closed and you can contact the kiosk that is located after the church toward the lake).
For further information please contact:
|ABBAZIA DI PIONA23823 Colico, LCTEL. +39 (0341) 940331
FAX +39 (0341) 931995