Il Giardino di Lory back to the discovery of the beauties of Lake Como, today we are in Bellano, in the hamlet of Lezzeno in the Shrine of Our Lady of Tears. The legend tells that on 6 August 1688 the farmer Bartolomeo Mezzora took refuge in a small chapel due to a sudden thunderstorm. Inside the chapel was a Madonnina depicted, and the peasant began to pray toward the sacred image asking for piety for his vineyards under the storm of the storm; Bartholomew wished that the image of the Madonna was weeping with tears of blood. The news spread quickly and, after various analyzes of the case, the event was certified as a real miracle and so, starting from 1690, the construction of the sanctuary on the nearby hill began. The sanctuary is in classic baroque style, with nave at times, rectiline presbytery and sometimes nave with dome frescoed. St. Peter’s and St. Joseph’s statues are located in the niches at the foot of the great arch with the three-color white, black and beige facade. Inside the church there are three precious altars: the largest one, dating back to 1746, is made up of fine polychrome marbles, and the other two sides are left to San Giuseppe and, on the right, Sant’Anna, Luigi Morgani He took care of frescoes on the walls and dome, made up of lambs carrying the sky with the coat of arms of Bellano.
The walls of the chorus are ornate with many ex-vows of all ages; Many are the faithful who go to the sanctuary to receive grace or thank the Madonna. The peculiarity of the sanctuary is in the image of Our Lady that can be worshiped by a staircase located behind the main altar. Recently, seven chapels, adorned with mosaics, and depicting the seven Mary’s pains forming the Via Matris, have been built along the path to the Shrine. At the place where the miracle of blood tears occurred, a small oratorio was erected, with a Stone saying, “Here in the tears of Mary, heaven thought of the earth.”