Il Giardino di Lory returns to the discovery of the territory around Lake Como, today we are visiting the Sacred Mount of Varese, inserted since 2003 by UNESCO on the list of the World Heritage Site. Constructed by fourteen chapels, leading to the Santa Maria del Rosario sanctuary, the Sacro Monte is a pilgrimage destination since the Middle Ages and its high position and immersed in nature gives it a remarkable landscaping interest.
Significant since antiquity for its strategic position, the mountain underwent a real revolution in 1600 when the construction of Sacra Street began with the collaboration of many famous engineers. The Sacred Way begins in the Saint Ambrose district, from where it runs two kilometers through the 14 chapels to the summit of the sacred mountain with the Shrine. The mountain itself is located within the Campo dei Fiori Regional Park and features a typical landscape of the pre-Alps Varesine with large forests of beech, chestnut and hazelnuts with numerous religious monuments that emerge in the green.
The story of the Sacro Monte di Varese is full of manifestations of faith with the sanctuary dedicated to the Madonna and wanted by Sant’Ambrogio in the 4th century, built on a former high-medieval building of which only the crypt was preserved. The idea of the path connecting the monastery to the Varese plain was supported by a nun of the monastery, who wanted to provide refreshment points for pilgrimages. The proposal found numerous consents both in the aristocratic and in the religious world by obtaining numerous donations to the enterprise, the work began in 1604 and ended already in 1623; No other sacred mountain saw such an accomplishment so fast.
His fame is not only concerned with natural beauty and religiousness, but also the artistic profile is of great importance thanks to the participation of numerous artists from the Milan area, witnessing the culture developed in the Duchy.
Today, the visit is facilitated by the reconditioning of the historic funicular that accompanies the pilgrimage to the site of the Sanctuary at 844 meters.