Excursion to the Castle of Lierna in Lecco, a dive into nature and history.
To the north of the municipality of Lierna in the province of Lecco, overlooking Lake Como we find the small hamlet of Castello in a little excursion, commonly named after the ancient castle in antiquity. The structure of the city maintains the original characteristic of fortified bastion since its origins in Roman times. The castle was erected by exploiting the defensibility of a small peninsula lying on the water and its ruins are still incorporated in the surrounding houses.
Having become the residence of Queen Theodolinda, Queen Consort of the Longobards and of Italy from 589 to 616, the castle was the subject of the ancient battles between Milan and Como in 1124. Gian Giacomo Medici’s number of conquests were possible by exploiting the castle as a naval base Military and strategic; Was taken by the Grigioni troops only after great effort and hard battles.
Fallen into disuse as a defensive work, it assumed the character of a residential and commercial village. From the ancient castle there are still the walls of Lake Como, the square base of a watchtower that was fought in the war between Milan and Como in 1124 and the little church of Saints Maurizio and Lazzaro.
The Church of the Saints, the obligatory stage of our trip, was first dedicated to St. Maurizio and then to San Lazzaro. It has distant origins with documentation dating back to 1147 and the ruins of the structure have been integrated into the surrounding houses.
On the sides of the front door you can see the effigies of the Saints dedicated to it and an oil shovel dating back to the 17th century, representing Christ with Martha and Magdalen. Above the altar is a wooden statue of Saint Maurice; The peculiarity of the church is the apse facing the lake as a protective bastion with access within the walls of the castle, in fact it was designed to carry out the functions and protect the faithful even during the sieges.