The Duomo of Como is considered one of the most beautiful buildings in Italy, perfect in the fusion of Gothic and Renaissance style that complement and unite in harmony. The dome touches 75 meters high, allowing the duomo to overrun the historic center.
It was built in 1936 under the direction of the architect Lorenzo degli Spazzi, in the area where the Roman basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore was already present.
The work with the use of marble of the Musso quarries continued until the elevation of the dome of Juvara in 1770.
In the first phase, the structure was joined to the pre-existing church of Santa Maria Maggiore, and gradually it was demolished to make room for the cathedral, which now only serves as the southern side because it is a supporting structure. The beginning of the construction followed a decidedly Gothic style, leaving room for Baroque and Renaissance elements while maintaining harmoniousness and stylistic continuity.
The facade is impressive with a 45 meter high spire characterized by a large marble portal, topped by niches and statues, long windows on the hips and the rosette by Luchino di Scarabota. The portals on the right side are rich in decorations, including the frog door.
The exterior architecture of the Duomo of Como is characterized by the beautiful array of Atlanteans standing on the upper frame shelves, supporting urns, lions heads, and other instruments. Designed by Bernardo Bianco and Francesco Rusca also act as water channels and depict old and young Atlanteans, naked and bare and classical in classical style, to emphasize a departure from the early Gothic style.
The interior of the cathedral is on a Latin cross, with three aisles marked by two rows of pillars. The walls are decorated with paintings including “The Saints of Sebastiano and Cristoforo”, “The adoption of shepherds” by Bernardino Luini surmounted by Two Prophets, and the Bridegroom of the Virgin of Gaudenzio Ferrari. Of the two painters we also find in the transept the paintings of Epiphany and Escape in Egypt.
The apse is entirely occupied by the presbytery, raised by a few steps to the church, with marble furnishings from the ancient cathedral of Santa Maria Maggiore. In the middle of the apse is the baroque style altar of 1728 in marble, onyx, baroque style bronze.
In the Cathedral of Como is also worthy of the Balbiani Vegezzi-Bossi cane organ opus 1519; instrument built in 1932 with three keyboards and foot pedals and then expanded several times with the addition of a choral body and a console with four keyboards and pedals.